Sunday, November 23, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude #21: An Inspiring Read

TeachThought's  Attitude of Gratitude Blog Challenge prompt asks me to name the book I am thankful to have read and discuss how it inspires me to be better at what you do.

Whenever anyone asks me what book inspires me,  I typically answer, the book I'm currently reading. But the question asks what book inspired me, past tense. So of course, all the recent books I've read pop into my mind, fiction and non-fiction both. 

The inspirational book that pops into my head is bell hooks' Teaching To Transgress. Her words knock me out on so many levels. I read it oh, so many years ago when I took a class on how to tutor writing, when I considered pursuing a teaching career. 

It's been so long that it's time to dust it off and reread it, to check how her words resonate today. And perhaps to see how my own mindset about teaching has changed or evolved. Maybe just to get recharged. 

Something to read over Thanksgiving break. Actually, winter break sounds more reasonable. Thanksgiving is for . . . grading! 

What about you? What's a book that inspired you? 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! I've never heard of this book. I can't wait to dig into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her book is a collection of stand-alone, almost "bite-sized" essays. So it does't require a sustained kind of reading. Here's a quote that stood out to me, a teaser of sorts: "Once you learn to look at yourself critically, you look around at everyone around you with new eyes."

    ReplyDelete